I’ve talked a bit about the effect that moving to Karratha has had on my writing (TLDR: I’m writing again), but the other major life change I needed to address while I am here is my weight: at the start of the year I had ballooned out to over 111kg, which placed me not so much in the morbidly obese category as the look-Mummy-a-barrage-balloon category.
The first step was getting a swim membership at the local Leisureplex and walking/swimming lengths. Initially, I walked 15 lengths, swam four, walked ten, and swam 2.
I also started a routine based on an article in a Men’s Health magazine: five times a day I did some push ups, crunches, and squats. I am a fat, creaky, broken man: I started out doing a set of five each.
Five weeks later, and this is the routine I’ll be doing today:
- 5 sets of nine each: push ups, crunches, oblique crunches, dips, squats.
- 5 sets of fifty skips with a 1kg-weighted rope.
- Pool: walk 25 lengths, swim 5, walk 20, swim 4.
- 3kg weights: 1 set of 20 each of laying dumbbell press, laying dumbell flies, lateral raise, shoulder press, bent over lateral raise.
The rest of the week I’ll do the same except the weight routine will differ:
- Tuesday: Double dumbbell row, single arm row, lying dumbbell extension
- Wednesday: bicep curl, alternative bicep curl, tricep overhead, tricep kickback
- Thursday: goblet squat, Romanian dead lift, dumbbell lunge, Bulgarian split squat, kettlebell swing
- Friday: no weights, but a one mile run/walk.
Next week, I’ll go to five sets of ten, and slowly work my way up until I’m doing sets of 20, using 5kg weights, and extending my walk/swim distances at the pool.
And the result? So far, I’ve gone from 111.6 to 108.9kg. That’s a loss of 2.7kg in five weeks, while only making small changes to my diet– I’ll discuss that side of things tomorrow.
As starts go, it’s not bad.